Thursday, September 8, 2011

Draining fluids and interior work.

You can see the watermark in the middle of the lower part of the front fender


The camera is level with the top of the sill. The interior was flooded above the console.


Found some rust in the lift points.


The starter has seized up. I found some water in the exhaust.


Hopefully this surface rust will go away after a while



This could be a problem: The fly wheel is probably rusted, let's hope the clutch doesn't shudder later on. The throughout out bearing is also a concern.


The engine oil was OK but when I've removed the gear box drain plug, about one liter of water came out. Some water came out from the 5th gear housing as well.



I have separated the water from the oil; about a litter of water there in the pitcher.



For reference only: right rear speaker connection


For reference only: right window


For reference only: left window


For reference only: ashtray light.


For reference only: left rear speaker connection.


Time to tackle to parking brake.


Found water in the cable housing. I will blow compress air and add some oil after.


The shiny part is the water that came out.


Pretty rusty mechanism.



After cleaning. I have tested the switch, it's OK. I have sanded and polished the plastic handle; it a soft plastic and can get scratch easily; I had to use a low speed polisher to avoid melting it.



Ready to put back on. I will put a lite coat of grease on the parts to prevent rusting again.

That's where I am now.


While waiting for parts and the appraiser visit, I've started on some non flood related work. Both rear boots needs to be replaced.



Did the usual grinding on the rods.







I will replace the balls also.



Waiting for the new boots.


The other side.


We have a bent rod...


The right rear rotor is fairly thick and rusted....



The left one Is very thin and grooved. The rear brakes should be visited at some points; I think one caliper is not working properly or simple seized.





0 comments:

Post a Comment